Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yoga.

I think it is time I come face to face with yoga again. My last attempt occurred in 2000, I had just turned sixteen. I'll never forget it because it ended up being some 'power Yoga' ruse and I was quite sure I'd pass away before the class ended. The breathing and the sweat. That music. Everyone seemed so calm and relaxed. Why the heck was I struggling so much? I was on the j.v. basketball team for goodness sake! I mean, really. And worst of all, the instructor insisted on calling me out. Once with: "Lower your back, hun - no, not yet .. Now!" She also assured me the class would wait as I caught my breath before continuing. It was awkward. I was in basketball shorts too, of course, so I stood out like a sore thumb in a room full of people wearing yoga pants and tank tops. It was quite possibly the longest fifty minutes minutes of my life. Leaving that damn facility I was delirious, incoherent and starving. And the soreness I felt the next day cannot be described in very nice words. So it's 2010, a good ten years since the incident. I'd say I'm in pretty good shape: I run here and there and have recently (just this hour) agreed to cut butter and sugar from my diet? If not now, when?! YouTube has some pretty neat 'Yoga' videos. It's free and I can do it in the privacy (shades up!) of my own home. I've got yoga pants this time around and a sweat band. What's the worst that could happen? .. Lastly, what the hell kind of friends would drag a novice to 'Power Yoga'? Katie & Carolyn: that's you. I'm going to need some type of explanation.

1 comment:

  1. They dragged me to one of those too once. Were we at the same one? Either way, it was brutal. I can't balance on one foot while leaning over and reaching for the sky with the other hand to save my life! Clearly, as a first venture out into the world of yoga, it should NOT be a power yoga class.

    ReplyDelete