Tuesday, September 7, 2010

August-ish.



Thighs and Rompers. 
I live in Seattle and people visit me here. My dear San Francisco friends came for a hot minute. During their stay, we attempted to float down some river. In retrospect, I should have known better. I'm clumsy. People like me don't do well in numerous situations including but not limited to: a burning building, an airplane experiencing turbulence, around a ferocious dog or in an alley late at night. A river with water and rocks as been added to the list, my list. Without any hesitation or thought, I jumped on my floatation device with all the confidence in the world. I'm on crocodile, I'm 26, I'm pretty strong for my size -- random thoughts that popped in my head as I let the water sweep me away from the safe, solid land. When I looked back a few seconds later it appeared as though Callie had the hang of it as well. Jenny was messing around being clumsy and the other girls weren't even in the water yet. I was moving down that thing with such speed I started to get nervous. Then, as though I was on land, I tried to stand up and stop the experience immediately. It was at this juncture that bad things started happening. The river stole the flip flops I had borrowed, people kept tumbling off their inflatable animals and Michelle Duffie got caught under a branch and almost drowned - as I stood helpless in the water watching it all go down. Sad, right? And through it all: all of the screaming, pain and frustration only Callie and Hoover could say they had an okay time. I think. So .. that happened. But to make it all better, Duffie hosted a rad party full of grilled meat, sherbert, amazing terry cloth rompers, laughter, family, beer, braiding sessions, singing, a beautiful baby, the most awesome nanny and lots of chips - all kinds. It was a lot of fun. Thank you J&C for making the trek. Duffie, you know why I'm here. You know how I feel. A week after they left, Mariana came for a lil' visit. Needless to say, a river was not  floated. We ate a lot of things and drank these weird tea slushie things that made our stomachs angry and confused. I worked a ton and her and Duffie became fast friends. Mariana, to sum up your trip I'd use these words/phrases: flannel, Jersey Shore, can I make a sauce from scratch? Yeah, I can make a sauce from scratch, blackberries, according to the book, pin ball, beach+nirvana+woodfire pizza, Oh My God - Oh My God You Guys, we suck at trivia, we should have gone to Quinn's, two doughnuts - why not, they're small, wat bot, so: do you guys want nachos?, I have to lay down, etc. You're a great friend. I love you. I love your laugh. I'll catch you on the flip side, in San Francisco, on 18th and Valencia. You know the place, save me a seat.
Bff. 

So, to sum things up:
Clumsy people should stay away from the Cedar River.
Friends are dear hearts.
Blackberry cobbler is delicious.
I think the summer is over.
My Dad watches the hell out of the Lifetime Movie Network.
I've composed a letter to John Legend asking him to sing at my wedding. All I need is his address.
I love you.

.. Please?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I told you! I got Dad to admit that he likes Lifetime LOL! He's freakin' awesome. And, clumsy or not, so are you.

    ReplyDelete