Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hey, Pie.

I'm definitely one for a nice slice of pie. Usually with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top - life's too short to go with out. In Seattle, pie has become the new "it" thing. Pie shops have opened all over this city and the smell of butter, berries and sugar is slowly taking over the 206. But are these pies good? They look pretty nice, but how do they compare to the pies my Dad made growing up? Sure, it took him all afternoon to make a single pie but the end product was always a delicious, melt in your mouth, beautiful slice of magic. With this in mind, Yitka and I decided to try out the High 5 Pie Shop on Capitol Hill. I had read a horrifying review of High 5 last month (http://www.seattleweekly.com/locations/high-5-pie-1199757/) and was just so damn curious: Could a piece of pie really be THAT bad? We soon found out .. Yes, yes it can. We ordered two mini cherry almond petit four pies and were immediately disappointed with our decision and experience. The bite was mostly crust and the filling (it seems) had taken the night off. Flavorless, bland, dry: all adjectives you want to avoid whilst discussing a proper piece of homemade pie. The thing I don't understand is why the place was so dang busy. Were people just as curious as we were? Or perhaps their palatte's weren't as particular as ours and they were actually enjoying their pie? We could have ordered the wrong flavor? Who knows!

Once we left, I knew I had to make a proper pie: Berry Cobbler Pie courtesy of JoytheBaker.com. My apartment smells like a little slice (!) of heaven. Otis Redding is on in the background and I couldn't be happier.

Success!


The pie is going in the oven very shortly. I plan to bring it work to share with friends. Please let it taste better than that hot mess we had last night ...

No comments:

Post a Comment